Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Predictable Reaction

The moving van went by about sixty minutes ago and parked just a few units down from our condo.  From the moment I noticed the van, my adrenalin began pumping.  Since the van arrived, multiple cars have parked on the street, possibly here to help with the move-in and a furniture-store truck just unloaded furniture, presumably carried into the condo unit that the moving van is associated with.

How I envy the people moving in!  Call me strange (and many people have and still do), but I love moving.  I liken moving to an erasable whiteboard in a classroom, where you can write whatever you need to, then take either the eraser or the spray-cleaner, along with some paper towels, and - voila! - you have a clean slate on which to write yet more fun and exciting letters, words, or symbols.

This is exactly what occurs when I move.  Every step of moving - from the selection of a neighborhood, to choosing the type of home you want to inhabit, to changing interior paint, floor-coverings and window treatments, to arranging existing furniture in new and creative ways - or purchasing new furniture to complement a different floor plan, to ridding your present belongings of those outdated, faded, ratty, unnecessary, or downright ugly items - shouts change/variety/transformation/transition.

Now, being a creature of habit, I have always found my fascination with moving a bit inconsistent, but even we creatures of habit can become bored and listless with the way we have always performed tasks and the scenery that we view on a daily basis.  Just like I am learning to cook with more herbs and spices, I enjoy the challenge of organizing my same junque in new nooks and crannies.  Plus, moving allows me the luxury of not having to paint the old walls or mess around with moving heavy furniture in order to have the carpets cleaned.  Likewise, as life is not static, neither are my needs, interests, and abilities. 

John Denver said it in his song, Leaving On A Jet Plane, "All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go....."  I don't need a jet plane, just a moving van.  There is a house nearby that has been calling to me since it was built two years ago.....Now if the market would just cooperate!

Ancora imparo