Friday, October 22, 2010

My Illness

I own too much stuff.  I'll say it again:  I own too much stuff.

I think that is why I like moving.  When you move, it is a natural vehicle to be able to rid yourself of all of your unwanted stuff or junque, of which I have now accumulated plenty.  It is though it is oozing out of the pores of the condo, spilling out of the precious closet space we have, falling off shelves in the storage closet, and being crammed into one too many Rubbermaid containers.  In a word:  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  (I realize that was three words.)

As I began on the much-procrastinated project of changing out my wardrobe from spring/summer to fall/winter, I kept noticing other accumulations that somehow just got out of hand.  Over-accumulation can happen quickly and without fanfare.  It is as if I can move through months, even a year or two, in closet-storage complacency and suddenly my eyes are open to the fact that stuff has become excessive and out of control.  I own enough clothes, in a wide-variety of sizes, that I could open up my own re-sale shop.  I own more flute, band, and choir music than a Big-Ten university and I own so many musical instruments that I could start my own band.  All I need is a tuba.  Wait.....what am I saying!

I'd like to have a garage sale but that time of year has probably passed and, besides, I do not own enough mass of stuff to facilitate my own sale.  Consequently, I'll load up boxes, bags, and sacks and tote them off to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, where I know the merchandise will be sold to benefit others. 

The urge to purge is strong right now so I need to capitalize on the instinct but it is still fascinating to me, that even as I have been eye-balling every item I've come into contact with today, I can still think of something new that would look good here, there and everywhere.  Just what illness is this?  I am not a shopaholic, rather I think I am an 'add-a-holic'.  Add a little here and add a little there and after a while, even I can do the math.

I either own too much stuff or........I need a bigger abode.  Hmmm.

Please don't tell my SO I said that. 

Ancora imparo