Monday, October 11, 2010

Mine Field?

Disclaimer:  This post is NOT related to any conversation I had with my SO but rather with recent occurrences that the media have covered.

Equality?  Sameness?

When I heard these two descriptors uttered in the same sentence, my mind immediately latched onto the social ramifications for so many diverse groups of humans.  The notions of 'equality' and 'sameness' were part of a presentation revolving around the sexes and I found my mind could not escape considering the two concepts.  At first blush, these two words would seem to represent polar opposites in thought, but my fascination narrowed in on the idea that there are those who believe that equality should equate to sameness. Can it be that if you and I are 'equal' we are the same? 

"Nay, nay!", say I.  In fact, it seems ludicrous to even consider that if I am someone's equal, we are the same.

Speaking only on behalf of myself, I can say, with absolute firmness, that while I may desire equality with someone else, I have zero desire to be the same as another person.  When considering the sexes, there is just no biological, physiological, gynecological, or even mental way that a female is the same as a male.  The world, as we know it, would come to an end if all humans were just one androgynous species.  The differences between males and females have their purpose(s) and to not recognize those differences just seems not only short-sighted with tunnel vision, but downright ignorant.  I'll step out on a precarious limb, right here, and say that when considering equality between the sexes, we, as a society, cannot nor should not ignore the differences between the sexes.  'We' can camouflage ourselves all we want, but in the end, there are just, flat-out, differences we cannot overlook, nor do I want those differences overlooked.

I am stepping off my soapbox and going to find my pink slippers, my pink housecoat, my pink hair curlers, and my pink bon bons.  I'll watch soap operas all day, then go read my Harlequin romance novels.....after which I'll welcome home my man from his hunter-gather day with his pipe and slippers.  The dog will sleep at his feet and I'll have a fire burning in the fireplace.  I'm certain he'd do the same for me......he just wouldn't look good in pink.

We'll be the "Stepford Spouses".

Ancora imparo