Friday, October 15, 2010

Could "Lamb Chop" Be The Answer?

I do not know if I should be flattered, dismayed, embarrassed or all three.......just because I was present at a meeting and did not talk much.  I had no idea that silence, from me, could be so out of the norm, but, apparently it was/is.  Four people have now asked me about my silence at this meeting.  I've been asked if I was not feeling well (thank you for your concern but I felt fine) or if I was angry at someone or about something (no, it was a positive meeting....there was no reason for anger from anyone) - there was just no reason for me to speak.  I was fully engaged in the topics and ensuing discussions - in fact I nodded and smiled a lot and did speak once when a date was in question - but otherwise found no reason to chime in my two-cents worth.  I didn't find my behavior as odd, but others certainly did.......which has give me much pause for consideration since receiving concerning remarks about "how the cat had my tongue". 

My SO and I just purchased an adorable hand puppet, Lamb Chop, modeled after the children's entertainer, Shari Lewis's Lamb Chop, circa 1957.  While I am the lover of all things fuzzy, it was Gramps SO who spotted the hand puppet at the local apple orchard's gift shop and could not resist purchasing it.  I love hand puppets because the 'hand' in the hand puppet can say outrageous things and no one cares.  Actually, people expect outlandish voices carrying outlandish messages when the 'hand' is speaking.  You know the 'pop culture' saying, "Talk to the hand."?  Well, I just may take my Lamb Chop hand puppet to the next meeting I attend and let 'her' do the talking for me.  If I feel there is no point in me speaking, I can let Lamb Chop vigorously nod when 'she' is in agreement with points that are being made.  If 'she' is in disagreement with opinions being voiced, 'she' can either violently shake 'her' head or speak, in that squeal-like voice 'she' had and say, "I object!" 

Perhaps hand puppets could be the solution, for any group that meets, to encourage open and honest discussions.  I can envision that the simple requirement for anyone to become a member of a group or be appointed to serve on a committee would be the acquisition of a hand puppet.  At every meeting, a sign could be displayed that states, "Only the hand speaks here".  If our hand puppets did all the talking, perhaps all of our extra, unnecessary prognostications, postulations, prattling and positioning would be a thing of the past.  

I am definitely going to 'watch' what I say from now on.  When my silence is noted then I have been guilty of too much public speaking.  'Tis better to let the cat have my tongue!

Ancora imparo