Saturday, October 2, 2010

New Set Of Procedures

I was gone for a couple of days this week, and, the following morning after I returned, I wandered into my office to turn on my laptop and saw I strange light, glowing from a spot that, heretofore,  (I love the word heretofore  but I cannot use it very often!) never had anything glowing on top of it.  After turning on the overhead light, I discovered that the source of the glowing light was something quite exciting.  The table next to my desk that had been previously empty, now had a television setting atop of a big, black box.

Allow me to digress for a moment.

The latest and greatest gizmos and gadgets in the electronic world will never darken a room in our home.  We are always about twenty-to-thirty electronic generations behind whatever Silicon Valley is promoting.  Our 'main' television has a digital converter box attached to it so it can receive a signal from our cable company.  The VCR just got disconnected last week and, thusly, my over-used, blank video cassette tapes will be retired as well.  I have been methodically video taping missed television shows for years now and have been comfortable with the procedure necessary to program the VCR.  "Quoth the Raven, 'Never more'".

Before I continue, keep in mind that our household will NEVER hold the latest and greatest,  but, with my new 'glowing light', I have come from the Stone Age to the Industrial Age.  The glowing light belongs to my early birthday present, a DVD recorder and re-writable disks.  Plus, the television from the kitchen has been sent to my office to replace the Stone-Aged model that died in the spring and the kitchen counter now sports a new eighteen-inch television.  While I was away, my SO was busy!

Yesterday I received a tutorial on the operation of the DVD recorder and I think I am ready for my newest electronic stage of life.  Yes, I have a fresh set of procedures to follow but I am full of confidence and excitement.  Industrial Age, here I come!

What can be next?  In ten years I'm certain I'll have a subscription to TiVo!

Ancora imparo