Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chicken Emergency

Today I write about the healing properties of humble, fowl meat.  Please note that I typed 'fowl' and not 'foul'.  A friend of mine sent through a forward email yesterday that was entitled "Very Punny", or something like that. I could add one to it that says the person who eats chicken soup has fowl breath.  But I digress.

A couple of weeks ago, while my SO was away, allergies got the best of my nose, forcing me to make a huge pot of chicken-vegetable-barley soup and eat it for seventeen meals straight.  I have no idea if the healing properties of chicken soup really helped my allergy symptoms but, in my head, it seemed to mitigate the symptoms.  Last night the allergy-gypsies visited me once again, this time with more warriors and even more evil weapons so I am fighting back with all of the tricks my momma taught me.  My thoughtful SO visited the grocery store for me this morning, bringing back potatoes, onions, chicken breast, a large can of tomatoes, frozen green beans and, the piece de resistance, oyster crackers.  As soon as the grocery bags hit the counter, I was chopping away with ferocity, getting the vegetables cut up and into the crock pot as quickly as humanly possible.  I had previously poured in the base chicken broth and had it heated so it was ready to accept other ingredients.  I also added fresh carrots and frozen corn, thinking that I would throw as much nutritional artillery as possible at the allergy warriors.  Now to eat chicken soup for every meal until it is gone.
My only lamentation is that chocolate or cookies or ice cream or even coffee do not seem to have any medicinal lore surrounding them.  

I cry fowl!

Ancora imparo