Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Best Tools

The internet, and, Facebook in particular, abounds with personality/leadership tests you can take to determine if you are like a certain breed of dog, a famous person, a fruit or some other kind of food.  I have not seen a test that likens people to brands of cars but there probably is one such assessment out there somewhere.  My personal favorite would be to compare people to egg-preparation types, which I did in a spring posting, but that idea has not yet caught on.  I guess no one wants to be thought of as 'cracked', 'poached', or 'easy-over'. 

To where I'm going......There are those humans who are natural 'fixers', people who either have learned or have an innate sense that a situation or person needs 'fixing'.  'Fixers' frequently get themselves into boxes with no way out if the person does not wish to be 'fixed'.  Situational 'fixers' may be akin to, if not outright, leaders. Some situations can be 'fixed', others are hopeless or unworthy of the time and energy needed to 'fix' or 'meddle'.  'Fixing' and 'meddling' are first cousins, are they not?

Regarding human 'fixing'.....I know several people, very well, who are natural 'fixers'.  They seem drawn to the personality-type that wears a sign that says, "I need fixing."  I have observed some success between the 'fixer' and the 'fixee' but, more often than not, the 'fixer' becomes disillusioned, discouraged, and even deceived.

So what is the solution to wanting to alleviate someone else's pain, hurt, or sorrow?  Well, prayer, for one.  Praying for another is, perhaps, the most powerful antibiotic or pharmaceutical on the planet.  Prayer is free and can be done anonymously.   Prayer is calming to the person doing the praying and can be soothing and comforting to the one being prayed 'for'.  Praying for another is not 'fixing', but rather asking for intercedence from God on behalf of someone else. 

God gave us two of the best tools on earth for 'fixing':  Our ears and our arms.  Our ears are the perfect vehicle for listening, simply listening.  By listening to other people, we allow them to hear their own thoughts and give them the knowledge that someone else cares.  Our arms are the perfect vehicle for human touch.  With our hands, we can convey a gentle 'touch' on the arm or shoulder that says, "I am with you." or, if the person is open to hugging, our arms can wrap around another and send an unspoken message of "I am here." 

God sends the message of "I am here." every day.  There are days when I can feel Him wrap his mighty arms around me and lift me over whatever morass that I am confronting.  Let's give the gift of 'tools' to each other:  Our hands, arms, and prayer.

Ancora imparo