Monday, September 27, 2010

What Was I Thinking?

It seemed as if it was a splendid idea......at the time, time being a scare commodity today.  My brain has been in high gear since we returned home from the Aqua RV yesterday, having emptied her for the winter season.  All of the summer clothes, food, etc. that needed to be assimilated back into our 'winter' household - not to mention all of the dirty clothes accumulated over the two-week period - were lurking about in bags, sacks, and boxes - waiting to be dealt with.  My trusty washing machine and clothes dryer got a six-hour workout until I, the wash wench, just became too tired to stuff yet one more load into the machine.

However,  a good night's sleep restored my energy, at least temporarily, and before my SO and I headed out the door for our morning walk, I started up the washing machine for another round of clean clothes.  I was feeling smug and ultra-organized.....very pleased with myself and my progress with putting all of the food away, finding spots for all of the extra food-storage containers during their winter hiatus, and conquering the mountain of dirty laundry.  I was "Queen" of the to-do list.  When we returned from our constitutional, I eyeballed the bag of soiled boat rugs and decided it was the perfect time to get that task over, as well.  I had it all figured out - wash those rugs while I did my 'other' exercises downstairs.

But, there was one more fatefully bad idea yet to come.  As I walked into our bath/dressing area, I spied those small floor rugs and thought to myself, "Why not kill two birds with one stone and wash all of the little rugs together, in one load, and be done with it?"

What was I thinking?

I tossed six little rugs into my trusty friend, squirted what I ERRONEOUSLY thought was just the right amount of soap into the tub, set the dial on 'mega-size' load, put the lid down, and pushed start.  The initial hint of trouble began during the first spin cycle when the washer tried walking across the laundry room floor.  I literally dropped what I was doing, ran to the washer, tried re-positioning the rugs (to no avail), then had to drape myself over the washer to hold it in place through that spin and one more.  When the ill-fated load came to a halt, I lifted the lid, and discovered mounds of fluffy soap suds greeting me.  Two more full cycles later (and, yes, four more full-body drapings over the washer) the rugs were finally soap-free, at least to the naked eye.  Instead of saving time by cramming two loads of rugs into one, here I am three loads later, who knows how many gallons of wasted water later, two hours behind and still no floor exercises have been beaten into my body. 

I'm busy doing a combination of Lamaze and Yoga breathing exercises at the moment, trying to reduce my heart rate and blood pressure.

Just what was I thinking?

Ancora imparo