Sunday, September 5, 2010

Shiver Me Timbers

Getting up is getting harder on my Aqua RV. With the much cooler nighttime temperatures, the interior temperature lowers accordingly and makes staying under the covers, head covered up, a cozy environment, difficult to leave. The water temperature is also dropping so the Aqua RV's wooden floors reflect that temperature change and make for cold feet, which was the topic of this blog yesterday.

However, staying in bed and conserving body warmth also gives more time to listen to the saccharin-style radio station that our clock radio is set to. The radio station's marketing theme is 'relaxing' music. Now 'relaxing' means many things to many people. Some would find this particular mix of music nauseating and would prefer radio fuzz rather than listen to one minute of Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, Debby Reynolds, Bobby Vinton, and the like. I would describe my reaction to hearing 'relaxing' music as a combination of fascinated and irritated - usually simultaneously.

The music is mostly one genre - the old crooner tunes from the fifties and sixties. The music that my sisters probably 'spooned' to in the back seats of their boyfriends' Chevrolets. Occasionally I'll hear a tune from my junior high and early high school years and it does transport me to another place and time. Waaaaay back then, high schools hosted regular Friday night dances called 'mixers'. This was basically a cattle call where the single guys lined the gym, either seated or standing, and the girls paraded around and around, just waiting for 'that guy' to stop one of them and ask her to dance. Good grief, we even had dance cards, where girls would get guys to sign up for dancing with them on Dance Number One, Two, etc. The only people in the middle of the dance floor, shuffling about, dancing cheek-to-cheek, were the regular couples, the girl probably wearing the guy's school ring which would have been wound tightly with yarn, color-coordinated with the outfit she was wearing that evening.

Crooner music mostly brings back junior and high school love-angst and the awful feelings that only teen-aged 'romance' can produce. I do find myself chuckling, from time to time, when I hear a particular song and the memories it dredges up. Secretly, though, they were great times and I'd re-visit those days in a heartbeat.

Shivering, reminiscing. and chuckling. I'm going back to bed. My feet are cold.

Ancora imparo