Friday, September 10, 2010

Feel Good v.s. Right

Finding the right title for my daily posting of Ancora imparo is something that I take very seriously. I'd say I'm happy with ninety percent of the titles I've selected. There are times when I'll have a topic in mind but the title does not solidify until part-way through the development of the posting when it comes in a 'voila!' moment.

Blog topics are another matter. There may be a seed for an idea that gets planted but it does not germinate for a few days, or even weeks for that matter. Other times, the idea has grown from seed to fruit in a matter of days or even hours. Today's topic kernel took shape yesterday and festered all through the night until it was begging to be written........'as we speak'.

I wanted the title, for today, to be "It May Feel Good But Will It Feel Right?" Allow me to explain while speaking in code.

I have an acquaintance who is a real curmudgeon. He is a walking, talking prime example of the definition of the word.
(This person is not a relative, nor does he live near me so do not spend any time musing over who this person might be.)

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary - Eleventh Edition: n [origin unknown] (1568) 1 archaic: MISER 2: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

This person has no verbal filter and is adept at hurting the feelings of others. He is devoid of tact - most of the time - and seems to relish making remarks that make others squirm. I am thankful that our paths do not cross very frequently because when they do, I come away from the encounter wishing I'd said this, that and the other thing in response to his cranky and crabby running commentary. This is why I wanted to publish the title of today's posting as "It May Feel Good But Will It Feel Right". I know that if I made a retort it would feel good at the time but would make me feel very low and......curmudgeonly.....myself a short time later. It is difficult not to stoop to the level of a curmudgeon. My challenge is to try to forget the man's seemingly natural ornery demeanor so that the next time our lives intersect, I can view him with fresh eyes.

What is that saying about rose-colored glasses? I need a pair.

Ancora imparo