Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Separating The Chaff From The Wheat

As I was mentally preparing what I would include in today's post, two realities struck me:

  1. 'Chaff' is only one letter off from 'chafe'.
  2. I was intentional in the reverse wording of the more commonly-known phrase, 'Separating the wheat from the chaff'.
Perhaps it is all of the November-election television campaign ads that are chafing at me. These ads appear non-stop, twenty-four-seven. They are loud, obnoxious, negative, and insulting to the intelligence of the viewer. At least I assume they insult the intelligence of most viewers. If the viewers are not insulted, they should be. Whichever advertising agencies come up with the 'spots' must employ dozens of minions whose only job is to dredge up awful-looking pictures of their clients' opponents, painting them in the most unflattering poses possible. The opponents are always pictured with half-closed eyes, facial sneers, down-turned mouth corners, mouths wide open as if shouting in a rage, mouths agape as if suffering from a severe lack of intelligence, or smug and conceited looks as if dealing with a room full of imbeciles.

Couple that with The Great Illusionist and his lackeys who are out in full force, trying to fool the gullible American public into believing that 'their' party is the only political party who can rescue the country. The opposition party is doing the same, painting the incumbent party as liberal fools taking our great country down a path to certain failure. Add in the third 'beverage' party and the political free-for-all is mind-boggling, to say the least.

I'm trying to separate the chaff from the wheat, on a personal level, because I am tired of partisan politics where the politician thinks his or her view is more important than that of the electorate. I'm tired of the constant gloomy news from Wall Street. I'm tired of hearing about this person and that business struggling to stay afloat and simply scraping by. I'm tired of squabbling and rhetoric. I'm just tired.

My dilemma is that I cannot find any wheat among the chaff to separate out. There is just flat-out more chaff than wheat. The politicians, wonks, policy-makers, and suits all seem like chaff to me. Where is the quality, integrity, and intelligence needed in a politician today? Is there no one who can produce ethical, moral, and intelligent action?

All the chaff is chafing on my nerves. I think that the fact that the word 'chaff' is so close to the spelling of 'chafe' is no accident. They are one-in-the-same. I propose that we all look for and support 'wheat' candidates, not the traditional two-party system along with the 'beverage' party
choices.

I want 'wheat'. I want 'meat'. I want substance. I want compassionate intelligence coupled with straight-talk. Don't talk 'down' to me, don't patronize me, and don't ever assume I am stupid.

I'm starting a fourth party - the Wheat Party. No chaff allowed.

Ancora imparo