Friday, September 3, 2010

If Only.......

As previously stated, this posting was going to be about the phrase, "If I Only Had The Time". After much reflection and thought, I decided that the more appropriate wording, for me, was "If Only......." I have a long list of If only's, which is also concerning to me - about me - because I do not wish to exist in a state of "If only", but I find it challenging to avoid.

Do you ever think "If only...."?

I am not referring to the maudlin, hand-wringing, choke-sobbing-sniffling kind of "If only....", more the kind of hit-your-head, "Gee, I should have had a V-8" type of realization.

For instance:
  • If only I'd gotten up when the alarm went off.
  • If only I hadn't eaten that second helping of potatoes and gravy.
  • If only I lived one hour closer to the Three Musketeers.
  • If only I hadn't waited two more seconds to jump on to the boat.
  • If only I had started growing out my bangs one year earlier.
  • If only I were three inches taller.
  • If only I had installed granite countertops.
  • If I only could have landed that big small-mouth bass.
  • If I only could remember the phone number.
  • If only I could talk him into a dog.
And, the big 'one' that Capt. SO and I talked about on our walk just yesterday: If we could only be twenty years younger. We do not want anything or anybody else to be twenty years younger, just us. Rather selfish, don't you think? We just like everything as it is and love everyone as they are and would like to have a guaranteed twenty more years to enjoy it (and them) all.

Ah, but there are no guarantees, are there?

Ancora imparo