Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Horse Before The Cart

Have you ever noticed that, in organizational terms, there is always a storm before the calm? 

Now that I am in one place, for the time being, I can devote energy to actually tackling household projects, both small and large.  This happens each year when all of the 'stuff' from the Aqua RV is hauled back into the condo, begging to be put
away......somewhere......any where!  Duplicates, while necessary in the summer, become a nuisance when trying to find space for storing them in the fall.  Even the smallest of items can present a storage challenge if I cannot cram one more container on a kitchen shelf.  It is no wonder that every year, at this time, I view everything I own with a jaundiced eye, carefully calculating its need in my life.  Need equals stay.  No need equals give-away.  Even my most cherished of belongings gets the evil eye of practicality, having to pass the necessity litmus test. 

The most frustrating part of organizing is the disarray that must occur before the calm of organization can be realized.  Shelves must be cleared, cupboards and closets must be emptied, floor space must be filled before all of the 'stuff' can be placed back into the area from whence it came.  It matters little, when in the fray, that the end product will result in personal satisfaction and maybe, ultimately, less frustration.  While in organization 'mode', one has to put up with the clutter, the constant stepping over and around boxes, containers, piles of this and that, and mounds of throw-away and give-away items.  It is not unusual for me to be overhead muttering, "Just why did I begin this?"

It really feels like the horse is before the cart - patiently waiting for me to be ready to climb into the conveyance and be carted away.  I will willingly be carted away, but only after all of my junk has been removed, first!  Then I can relax and enjoy my clean, neat and uber-organized surroundings.  If I were you, I'd come visit quickly because this state of being may not last too long.

I've always been fond of duplicates, triples and beyond.  Just ask my family!

Ancora imparo