Thursday, September 16, 2010

Nostalgia Tour

I took a step back in time today with my SO. We visited a city we lived in for seventeen years, moving away in 1991, leaving behind so many friends, neighbors, and memories. I have very fond remembrances of this mid-western city. It was the first city my SO and I moved to, away from the family safety-net of Michigan. We were young and idealistic, full of bravado but just kids underneath the swagger and hubris of our youth. Our children were born there, my SO's career flourished there and my various careers played out over the years in venues so different, even I cannot believe I traveled in as many directions as I did.

I spent a year at a state university, studying Electronic Media, thinking that music education was a closed door for me, convinced that a second bachelor's degree was just what I needed. Then the state financial coffers opened up and the powers-that-be declared that music education needed to offered twice a week to all school children and......lo and behold......music education opportunities were in abundance. So, it was back to school for yet another year and more undergraduate classes to earn my vocal ed certification.

During today's journey, we drove past all four residences we lived in over the years, taking pictures of each place, probably making neighbors and owners nervous, wondering why a car was pulled up, out front, cell phone in hand aimed at the structure. Surprisingly, we had no trouble navigating through the differing sections of the city that we had called home. The homes we left were all in good condition, although they all were missing the landscaping attention to detail that my SO was so good at. We found our former church, which did look a little worse for the wear, but......with some better landscaping would look fabulous.

Our final stop for the day came almost as an accident, but was kismet, indeed. We were headed out to the eastern side of the city, towards the interstate, knowing that we would pass many eateries, when we saw a street sign, looked at each others, and said, in concert, "Pizza". Sure enough, our favorite pizza hang-out of all times was still open, in good shape, and still delivering the best pizza we're ever had. (Except for the pizza our favorite Italian makes!) We dined there, declaring after the meal that we might as well call for a taxi to take us straight to one of the hospitals because our arteries must surely be plugged to the max! On our way to the interstate we discovered that our favorite EVER custard place had closed. I was so upset by this possibility that when we returned to our Aqua RV, I Googled the business, found a phone number and called, only to discover that both locations had closed. This is a sad loss to the culinary world.

Less I forget.....we stopped in at one of the best chocolatiers in the United States. Yes, we bought chocolates, although only one piece is missing from the box, as of this moment. Our self-control is to be congratulated!

I wanted to stop at homes, knock on doors and see if former neighbors still lived where they once did. Capt. SO said that they would think we were nuts and would wonder who in the world we were and so we passed on that opportunity.

A trip down memory lane......well worth the time, effort, and gas.

Ancora imparo