Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Wonderin'

Because I spend a fair amount of time outdoors in warm-weather months, I pay a lot of attention to weather reports. When you live in a floating tent, the weather defines ninety-percent of what you do, when you do it and how long you do it. If the wind gets above ten to eleven knots, you think twice about whether or not the floating tent will move at all. Fifteen to twenty knots really gets the attention of Capt. SO and sustained winds of more than twenty knots mean that extra lines will be added to keep the floating tent secured at her dock.

Rain? Well that is another matter. If the temperatures are warm then rain is no big deal. Warm and wet is comfortable but wet and cold.....now that is another story. Wet and cold makes you want to stay inside the floating tent with the bed covers pulled high over your head, summon the maid to bring a scrumptious bedside brunch, and read a novel until it is time for the maid to return with a gourmet dinner entree.

All of this meteorologically applied need for information hinges on the weather report and this is from where my question arises: If the weather report says there is an eighty-percent chance of rain, does this mean there is an eighty-percent chance it will rain once or does it mean that it will rain eighty-percent of the time? There is a vitally important difference between the two concepts and the National Weather Service would do a great public service if this is clarified.

I need to know if I can stand outside all day and have an eighty-percent chance that I might get wet, because that is a gamble that I will take.....even in cold weather......or, if I stand outside all day, in the cold, will I be rained on eighty-percent of the time?

Just wonderin'.

Ancora imparo