Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cold Feet

OK,it is early September, Labor Day weekend, and my bare feet are cold? What gives, Mother Nature? Granted, I've complained mightily about the heat and humidity that we Americans have endured, just having gone through the hottest summer on record, if I am not mistaken. I'm all for cooler temperatures and lower-to-no humidity, but to have cold,bare feet on Labor Day weekend is quite unusual.

Typically, when the children and teachers return to their classrooms at the end of August, the weather does its 'hat trick', the Dog Days of summer rear their over-heated head, and all are miserable. Given the mercurial nature of mid-West weather, the switch back from cold feet to hot feet will come over night, all too soon.

I'm holding out for real football weather, when the day temps are in the mid-to-low seventies or high sixties, there is nonexistent humidity, and the night skies are clear and chilly. Football weather. Sweater weather. Hooded-sweatshirt with blue jeans weather. Apple-cider doughnuts weather. Apple-picking weather. Pumpkin-patch weather. Crockpot-soup weather. Put-another-blanket-on-the-bed weather. Garden squash weather. A fire in the fireplace weather.

Our home-before-the-condo had two fireplaces and I so miss the ambiance that a lit fireplace projects. The crackle and spit of the logs as they burn, the mesmerizing effect of the flames, the urge to open a good book and read in a large, over-stuffed chair before the fire. Now I have to utilize Harold Hill's "Think Method" from the "Music Man" musical. I am relegated to envisioning a fireplace rather than experiencing a fireplace.

Back to the cold feet and reality. The time is late-afternoon, the wind is blustery at best, the rain is intermittent, my feet are cold and my bare legs are telling me it is time to lose the shorts and opt for long pants.

Can a hot cup of tea be far behind? Join me, won't you?

Ancora imparo