Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hyphennistically Speaking

I knew about this meeting for several days in advance. I had prepared as much as I could, based on what I knew about the attendees. Actually, I was excited and nervous, all at once. The meeting guests would be staying overnight and heading out early the next morning. Wanting to make a good impression, care had been taken in selecting menu items and tidying up the condo.

When the guests arrived, introductions were made and pleasantries exchanged. Maybe a few awkward conversational pauses occurred at first but soon the conversation flowed freely, shifting from topic to topic with ease. The two guests were fine conversationalists, moving in and out of the discussions as their interests dictated or tasks allowed. Clearly these were people with keen intellects, sharp wits, and quick senses of humor. The time passed rapidly and suddenly the clock and our bodies indicated that sleep might be in order.

Sleep for me was a bit elusive due to the trivial facts my mind tried to recover following the evening's discussions. About 3:00 a.m., I seized upon the final trivial fact lodged in the file cabinets of my mind and fell asleep, only to have the alarm sound a short two and one half hours later.

Breakfast brought more lively repartee and, toward the end of the meal, one of the guests turned to my SO and me and said, "So, are there any other questions you would like to ask me during this interview?" For a split second, we were speechless, and then burst out laughing. We never considered the meeting as an interview but could certainly see, in retrospect, how one could construe the meeting as such. We retorted, "Well, are there any questions you'd like to ask us?" The response was negative......indeed all had been learned that was necessary at that juncture. We are still chuckling at the memory of the question put to us!

We are up for another meeting. During our time together last night, we learned a bit more about
punctuation marks, mainly the hyphen, and American Idol winners and runners-up. I can't wait to see what the next discussion topics might be. I'll have to brush up on my current, past and future events.

Grammatically speaking, no one harshed my mellow.

Ancora imparo