Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Interventions

I just got off the phone after speaking to someone my SO and I have come to know this summer while at our Aqua RV's new marina. She is one-half of our dockmates and a delightful woman she is. We see her much more often than her SO because he is still "earning a paycheck and paying for others' Social Security", as he frequently reminds the rest of us slackers. She just had a medical scare, while we were gone, and I called to check on how she is doing. Fortunately for her, it was a medication reaction and she is fine.

Because she and her SO have a fancy car, one with a mobile phone built right into the dash, our conversation was on speaker so I could talk with both her and her SO. They each have wicked senses of humor and, as always, we found ourselves laughing. Her SO said that she will be at their sailboat next week to 'pack stuff up' before taking the boat out of the water for the winter. I referred to this as the end-of-season 'stuff' but he retorted that it is a yearly intervention for her. They both joked that the boat is akin to an addiction for her and that she needs to be weaned away from it over the winter months.

Of course, after hanging up, I began to contemplate what interventions I could use. Some interventions should be self-imposed, others need to be orchestrated by outside influences. I do not see that the concept of an intervention needs to be a negative one, but rather a re-direction of intent and purpose. For instance, if I like chocolate too much, why could I not be re-directed to, say, cod liver oil? I think this could be an interesting experiment, one which could be more healthful for me in the long run. Who knows, I could grow to love cod liver oil, could I not? Imagine instead of chocolate chip cookies I could bake cod live oil chip cookies. Yummy!

Who am I kidding? I think I must be delusional. There's an intervention for someone to tackle!

Ancora imparo