Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tough Toenails

When I was in high school, many moons ago, there was a phrase, "tough toenails" that was used frequently. It basically meant, 'tough'. Today we might hear the phrase, "too bad, so sad", which basically means, 'tough'. Not a lot of sympathy in those phrases. There are slang phrases for 'tough', which are not appropriate for this blog and there is always the perennial finger motion for 'the world's tiniest violin playing the world's saddest song', which again, means 'tough'.

Well, this afternoon I had an encounter of a different type with 'tough toenails' and it was 'tough' all right......tough on one of my toenails, which had an encounter with the sharp bottom of a commercial door. It was as if I had decided that ten toenails were one too many and that trying to eliminate one nail would be good for my foot. Not.

The attempt at eliminating a toenail was made easier by the fact that I was wearing open-toed sandals and, thusly, all of my nails were exposed, just waiting for a door bottom to run into, which I did with lightning speed and great gusto. Moving slowly is not my forte. Perhaps it should be. Reality set in quickly and the toe is still talking to me. I tried wearing a slipper at home, which was not successful. Definitely bare-footed is currently the way to go. I have just three days to be able to get my foot (and toe) into a jogging shoe so I can march in a parade. Somehow a parade in sandals just won't cut it.

As I conclude, I can imagine that readers are saying to themselves, "too bad, so sad"!

Ancora imparo