Sunday, May 23, 2010

Acceptance

As a recent recipient of the concept of 'acceptance', I became curious about the word 'acceptance'. "Just what does the word mean?", I wondered and then proceeded to head to my favorite word-meaning source. (No, not Google.) My Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition. On page seven, I found the following accompanying the word 'accept':

A derivative of the Latin acceptuare, the second definition is as follows: to give admittance or approval to (~her as one of the group)

What is acceptance? It is always personal - whether it means I have accepted an outcome, i.e. recognize a decision and choosen to abide by it or, I have been 'accepted' into a group, i.e. The National Association of Math Geniuses, or accepted by a group, i.e. new friends or organization group.

My latest experience with acceptance has been first-hand, by a group of people that I began eating lunch with, daily, three weeks ago. As a stranger and newcomer, they could have easily dismissed me with either disregard or by ignoring me, neither of which has happened. Instead, I have felt welcomed, greeted by name, included in conversations and good-byes always accompany my exit from the lunch room. Trust me when I say that this is not always the case for newcomers to a group. I have been fortunate as well as lucky that these individuals understand and appreciate what it means to 'come late to the party'.

I am grateful for their hospitality. May I always remember my reception by this group and practice the same hospitality with others that I encounter for the first time.

Ancora imparo