Monday, May 3, 2010

Is It Possible?

Do you think it is possible to instill the desire to achieve in others? Or, is it one of the X-factors we are born with and we either have 'it' or we do not? Do you think it is possible to badger a person into a state of wanting to do well? Does the possibility exist that if expectations are kept high enough, individuals will achieve, simply due to striving higher and higher?

Recently I had coffee with a woman who told me that her son, soon-to-be a college junior and a former student of mine, was studying neuro-physics. He has an internship this summer to study living things that operate in groups; i.e. rats, ants, humans, wolves, etc. He will investigate the phenomenon of group psychology - what is it, why does it occur, why do some sub-groups have more success than others? Our conversation left me wondering if group psychology could help produce a collective desire to achieve.....to work above and beyond the bottom rung of success. If the group psyche is strong, does it serve as a greater motivation to individuals within the group?

There is an ant hill right outside my office window. Perhaps I should take a glass of wine with me while I get comfortable and observe the ant society hierarchy. That sounds like important research, doesn't it? Perhaps the better question to be answered would be: How many glasses of wine must one imbibe before you cannot see the ant hill anyway?

I've got the glass. Now to find the ant hill.

Ancora imparo