Wednesday, May 12, 2010

AC/DC

The term 'AC/DC has different meanings. Possibly the most widely recognized meaning is that AC/DC is the name of an Australian rock band formed in 1973. According to Wikipedia, the authority of all authoritative, they were pioneers in hard rock and heavy metal music, even though the band considered itself a rock and roll band.

Another meaning of AC/DC is one who switches back and forth......from what I'll not discuss here in this venue.

It also has to do with electrical signals: AC for alternating current and DC for direct current.

Then there is my meaning for the purpose of this posting: Switching back and forth from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop. The differences are driving me nuts. To be fair, I should state, right up front, that I have always been a PC. I have never touched a Mac until a week and a half ago. Since that time, I have had to become quickly accustomed to the Mac and all of its idiosyncrasies.

My first order of whine is that the tiny, Mac laptop is as old as Methuselah and as sluggish as the Illinois State Legislature. Just as Methuselah had no modern tools, this laptop has no mouse attached to it. It also has no internet access plug-in in the office in which I must work, so I must take it to another room to gain internet access. But, where I must take it for internet access has no place in which to plug in the laptop, so I am always working on battery when I'm 'connected'.

My second order of whine is regarding the lack of a mouse. On the Mac, the 'mouse' area is totally different than the 'mouse' area is on my PC. Different enough that the thumb 'keys' have a reversed function, which also drives me crazy. I am used to a relatively responsive PC and this old-as-the-hills Mac might as well be two tin cans hooked together with a very long string.

Finally, the Mac laptop has no definitive backspace and delete keys. I think it only has a delete key, which, somehow, is supposed to allow me to go in either direction?

That is the end of my whines. Forgive me for venting about my AC/DC experience with laptops.

I'm a PC. I can learn new tricks and I think I could be a Mac, as long as the machine was made in the last six months and I could have high-speed internet........not the stone and chisel kind.

Ancora imparo