Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Time: What Is It?

Time - a dichotomy - at once both tangible and intangible. There are very few words that can claim this characteristic.

'Time' can be a measurement of the passing of minutes, hours, days, years, decades, centuries and millennia. (My trusty Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary tells me that I have spelled the plural of millennium correctly. The other spelling for plural 'millennium' is millenniums but 'millennia' is the plural noun listed as first preference.)

'Time' can be less finite and describe an event; i.e. "I had a good time."

'Time' can be a specific, identifiable moment; i.e. "At the tone, the time will be six o'clock p.m."

'Time' can be a nebulous concept, as in the question, "What time is it?"

'Time' can be a non-quantifiable concept such as the beginning of a fairy tale, "Once upon a time...."

I know that there is never enough time. Never enough hours in the day, never enough time in the weekend, never enough time spent on a vacation, never enough time spent in pleasurable activities, never enough time spent with family, children, grandchildren, good friends, or a beloved pet named Max.

I am guilty of wasting time. I waste so much time that could be better spent in other places or with other people. As I age, I am aware that I am becoming very particular with whom I spend time or activities that I spend time engaged in. Life is just too short to spend time doing 'things' that do not interest me, or participating in activities that waste my time. It is bad enough when I waste my own time but when I allow another human to waste my time, I am aware and resentful that I allowed my most valuable resource to be squandered.

Thusly, so as to not waste the time of this blog's readers, I will sign off. It is time to create the evening meal.

Ancora imparo