Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mine Came Early

I've had the best Mother's Day......ever.....and mine came a day earlier than every other mother's. All of my children and grandchildren were under one roof, even if for only for one night. This does not happen very often and when it does occur, I am almost giddy with excitement and energy. When my children were growing up, I took for granted the multitude of nights, days, and years when we were a nuclear family of four. When you are in the throes of parenting, there is a zero concept of being what I call an 'active' parent. However, slowly but surely, the years pass and suddenly one 'bird' leaving the nest is looming largely in your very near future. If you have more than one offspring, this natural life-cycle is repeated until you and your spouse (if you have one) find yourselves in the life-phase society refers to as 'empty-nesting'. While some look forward to this period in their lives with high anticipation, others almost dread the day and when it actually arrives, they feel as if permanent holes have been placed in their hearts.

And so, it is with joy, I can repeat that I've had the best Mother's Day I could imagine. I was able to touch the skin of all my loved ones, give hugs and kisses, and receive them in return. The smiles and laughter will ring in my ears (along with the bicycle bells we gave the boys for their birthdays) for weeks to come. On a disappointing note, I must add that the one Mother's Day gift I requested was denied to me by my SO. (For regular readers - that request was not a puppy, although it should have been!) I asked for a new, giant Rubbermaid garbage can to replace the twenty-plus year old metal one we have. The bottom is starting to rust out and I know it will not be long until the bottom has holes opening up in it. My SO nixed that idea, saying that if others found out, he would never hear the end of it.

Maybe next year?

Ancora imparo