Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Across The Great Divide

Reaching out to others.....sounds good on paper......works well - sometimes......can bring harsh rebuffs at other times......you just never know what type of reception your overture will receive.

I've recently reached out - multiple times - to another person and my success rate is very low. While I haven't been rebuffed, my attempts at connecting have been, at best, met with little or no enthusiasm for reciprocation. And thusly, I've found myself wondering what would be my next step........or should there even be a next step?

After much soul-searching, I have arrived at the present conclusion that my next step will be to do nothing. I have tried....and tried....and tried, possibly to the point of seriously annoying the person.....to no avail. At least, when I put my head on the pillow at night, I can rest firm in the knowledge that I really tried. That, if nothing else, this person will have some glimmer of memory that I attempted to reach out 'Across The Great Divide'.

I have promised myself that I will not abandon this person, either literally or figuratively. I will hold them in my conscious mind until one of two things happen: Either they reach back to take my hand or enough time elapses that neither of us remembers who the other one is.

Reaching "Across The Great Divide" feels like holding outstretched arms over an abyss, into which objects fall but are never seen again. It is a lonely, quiet place, filled only with one's own voice and thoughts. I liked life better when it was a two-way system of communication, not a monologue from a one-person script.

If that person is reading, I'm reaching.

Ancora imparo