Thursday, May 27, 2010

Another Concept

For reasons unknown to me, I am stuck in a pattern of contemplating nebulous and intangible concepts. Yesterday I mused about the concept of 'time'. Currently, my mind has settled on silence.

Today, while I was administering a test and relishing the relative silence of a class that is, as a rule, anything but silent, I began mulling over the concept of silence.

Personally, silence seems to come in two categories: Welcome and unwelcome.
The welcome kind of silence usually signifies a feeling of peach and/or contentment........the feeling that all is right with the world and the planets are advantageously aligned.

Unwelcome - or awkward - silences usually signify some type of either unpleasant
or even sad situations. An awkward silence may follow an inappropriate remark that was overheard or a question that was asked but the answer may be unpleasant and, therefore, not quickly forthcoming.

Silences at funerals or memorial services are appropriate but very awkward as mourners struggle to deal with their grief.

At times, silence is simply golden. The less said the better, or as I was once trained on how to close a deal.......he who talks first, looses the deal.

On that note, I'll close and go observe a few moments of silence. I hope that there is a golden silence slated for your evening tonight.

Ancora imparo