Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's All In The Shoes

I don't know about you, but my feet seem to receive a lot of deserved attention, and, subsequently, a fair amount of my money is spent on keeping them happy. After all, the feet do carry our entire body weight from the moment we arise to the moment we raise them, one final time, off the floor and onto the bed for whatever hours of rest and repose we can manage.

I guess, because I am attentive to what my feet are saying to me, I also notice other peoples' shoes. If I see a pair of shoes that look comfortable and they are being worn by someone who might not cause me bodily harm if a stranger approaches, I will inquire as to the brand of shoe the person is wearing. I have also discovered that people - women, that is - are more than willing to praise the virtues of whatever footwear they have on and will tell you more than you wanted to know about their footwear of choice, if asked.

Depending on the career one has, the shoes tell a story about how much time during the work day that individual spends on his or her feet. You see very few doctors, nurses, teachers, postal workers, or factory workers in any type of shoe other than the obviously comfortable. I'd be willing to wager I would find few women, if any, in the aforementioned job categories in stilettos. Practicality and comfort would win out over style.......at least one would think so.

I'm always on the lookout for the most comfortable shoe ever made and I have a closet full of experiments to back up my claim. The 'shoes' that have my current attention (but no purchase - yet) are shoes that look like gloves for the feet. People who wear these oddities swear by them, saying that they promote foot health and body stability. The rabid wearers even jog in their foot 'gloves'. So, if you see me in public and it looks as if I put my gloves on my feet, you will know that I have fallen victim to the need for yet one more podiatric experiment.

Here's to happy feet - mine and yours!

Ancora imparo