Saturday, May 15, 2010

One-Eighty View

For years now, I've measured the passing of time by weeks. I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with being a church musician/director for almost thirty years. You think in weeks, can rattle off the dates of all the Sundays with ease, and find any other dates in a month based off the Sundays.

Whatever the reason, looking back over a week is part of my life-ritual. Looking ahead can be overwhelming for me but a look in the rear-view mirror provides satisfaction, comfort - sometimes, and personal chastisement - if needed. I can review all that I accomplished and feel either good about what transpired or simple relief that the week has passed and that I am 'still standing'.

This past week was one of those where survival was the daily goal. Just brushing my teeth, showering and wearing clean clothes each day was a supreme accomplishment. As I prepared for bed last night, I took a mental tour back over the events of the week and here are a few take-a-ways:

  • Some manufacturers' labeling systems are not set up for the two-thousands. I found a label, on a recently purchased product, that has an expiration date of 1913, which made me realize that the year 2013 is not that far away. Since most Americans have never lived in a year that ends in the number thirteen, I wonder if anyone else will think about the superstitious connotations associated with the number thirteen. I also wonder what the Year-of-Our-Lord, Thirteen-Thirteen was like in history?
  • I missed one of my favorite boat rides and am feeling quite 'long-in-the-nose' about that.
  • Wasting time is not my problem, wasting movement is. I have had to become very economical in my movements so I can add minutes to my day. Losing just two or three minutes has real consequences.
  • I am now peacefully co-existing with the ancient Mac laptop I must use daily........as long as I do not have to add any additional tasks.
  • After being closed for five solid days, opening the blinds this morning was a real treat.
  • Seventeen minutes in which to eat (more like highly-focused chewing) is not very long. One must keep conversation to a minimum. It is more like nodding and smiling a lot while eating. I must be the smiliest (my word) person at the lunch table. I suppose if I tell the others that I just smile a lot because I have gas (you know, like babies do) that would be TMI.
  • This list is now too long.

Ancora imparo