Saturday, March 6, 2010

Winter Whining

I've had it with winter weather. Have you?


The past six or seven days have offered a preview of what Mother Nature has in store and I am ready!

  • The night-time temperatures are high enough to prevent condensation from forming on the windows, then melting and, ultimately, dripping onto our window sills.
  • I can actually get a vehicle washed and it stays clean.
  • My SO and I have taken early-morning walks several days running now and it feels so good to be walking out-of-doors and giving the treadmill a well-deserved rest.
  • Soup season is coming to an end, and, while I love creating 'scratch' soups, I am ready to take a break from the soup pot.

There is one thing I certainly will not miss! The cracks that come in my fingers from a combination of lack of moisturizer, the dry/cold air, and dried-out skin. These cracks can form in an instant and they are very challenging to close. Our household remedy is to use a form of 'liquid skin'. We've used so much of it this winter that I should recommend buying company stock to all of our friends. While 'liquid skin' is effective in healing these cracks, it stings like the dickens. While we are applying it, we try to 'open' the crack as wide as it can be opened, in order to get as much of the body-super-glue as possible into the crack. This usually results in hopping up and down, vigorously shaking the involved hand, or, in my case, saying my favorite word.

Yesterday, as if the giant crack on my thumb wasn't enough, I managed to get a paper cut as I was impatiently opening a letter. This paper cut is on the backside of a finger, right at the knuckle crease, which means that the cut is constantly being 'exercised'. I tried body-super-glue.......to no avail.....which only adds to my winter whining.

As I sit typing this posting, I am a perfect example of why winter should conclude....and quickly. I have body-super-glue on a thumb, a cumbersome and annoying band-aid covering the paper cut, and mole-skin on my foot, where my running shoes created a blister.

The funny-yet-sad fact is.....these are all just minor irritants and I know it!

Spring........where art thou?

Ancora imparo