Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Abated My Curiosity

Abatement is a word I've heard bandied about for years, usually associated with the terms tax abatement and noise abatement. I had a good idea of the word's meaning simply from the context of what I was reading or the conversations that I was listening to, but I had never taken the time to search out the meaning of the word in my Merriam-Webster 'indispensable'.

Today's newspaper had a bi-line regarding noise abatement and my curiosity was renewed about abate(ment). Some key words in Merriam-Webster's definition are: nullify, moderate, deduct, omit, deprive. Some of the synonyms are: subside, wane, ebb.

Researching the word abate(ment) inspired me to consider topics or situations I would like to see abated or to consider topics or situations I've been in that others would like to have had abated.

First would have to be the choral selection that I just had my choir sing.....in Latin. I know these men would have preferred a Latin abatement in the choir room. Second would be messages from the pulpit or altar that are either too long, seemingly unconnected and excruciatingly disorganized or patronizing. Third would be a political grandstanding abatement. Fourth would be an abatement on politically rhetorical condescension.

To be bilateral in my thinking, I do have personal solutions to the four talking points listed above.

First, regarding the Latin lamentations........ Have some wine, cookies, or chocolate.
Second, regarding my pulpit protestations........close your eyes.
Regarding points three and four: I'll have my own personal abatement at the polls, you can be sure.

And now, as I conclude this posting, I'll abate my abatement discourse.

Ancora imparo