Saturday, March 20, 2010

Laser Dot

Here's a rhetorical question: Have you ever had a temporary physical attribute that was glaringly obvious? Sure we have - at one time or another in our lives.

As teenagers, we most likely endured blemishes. Some had more than others. During my college freshman year, I remember a girl on my floor. She had a severe case of acne, for which she had been under a doctor's care for years. Twice a day she used her heat lamp, seated at just the prescribed distance away. At that time she thought she'd be using the heat lamp for the rest of her life. Her circle of friends, of which I was one (and still am), would gather 'round her at night and jabber away about the day's events. We cared naught about what was on her face. She was beautiful outside and inside.

I have family members who have endured multiple bouts of shingles, which can crop up on most any area of the body. Shingles, which are in the same family as chicken pox, (I'm going to research just where that name cometh from.)can be very painful, itchy, and even disfiguring, especially if on the face.

Just where am I going with this?

When we do have 'blemishes', I'll call them, lumping all temporary 'spots' on our faces together, don't we feel as if there is a theatrical spotlight shining upon us?

Just recently, I became the recipient of 'fever blisters', right above my upper lip....or....right under my nose. I've had fever blisters from time to time during my adult life. Usually they are small, almost imperceptible to the eye, and are easily scared away with an over-the-counter product. The last time I can remember having such a fine specimen of fever blisters (and in the very same place, I might add) was maybe nine or ten years ago, during which time I had to conduct two nights of school Christmas concerts. My current affliction, once again, makes me feel as if a sniper has a rifle laser dot trained on my upper lip or as if a neon sign has been placed over my head that says, "Check out the upper lip!"

I am desperately searching for either a cave in which to hide or a burlap bag to wear over my head. I've considered putting a band-aid over the area but I know that would just draw even more attention to 'it'. Applying foundation simply makes it look like a giant ugly patch covered up with make-up.

Look for me to re-enter society around Memorial Day, when I am confident that my blemish will be gone. If you happen to see me on the street, I'll be the one with the ski mask, even though there will be no snow.

Ancora imparo