Thursday, March 18, 2010

Old, Familiar and Comfy

Old, familiar, and comfy. No, these are not descriptives of me, in case you are wondering. Although, I do hope that it what I feel like to my grandchildren!

I'm trying to let go of articles of clothing that I know, in my heart of hearts I should get rid of - either because they have not been worn in 'years' or that I continue to wear but really should not. I am rediscovering how difficult this is.

This morning I took four articles of clothing to a local department store that is having what they call their "Goodwill Sale". One was a suit that I have always loved, or at least loved the way I used to look in it. Another was a favorite dress from yesteryear. Both items, I realized, represented what I used to look like in them. Since both are over twenty years old, and so am I, I had to accept that it was time to release them to greener pastures than hanging in my closet, being moved twice a year from cold weather to warm weather positions. I also am in the process of trying to let go of a ski jacket that is easily thirty years old. It still fits but the style looks like something Linda Evans would have worn in "Dallas", with shoulder pads so enormous I could pass for a pro tackle. At least I have it out of the closet, off a hanger and positioned 'near' the give-a-way pile. I call this progress.

The garment that I am struggling to deal with and the struggle is not logical, is an old, gray hoodie with a broken zipper. The style is perfect for a short, petite person and that is why, years ago, I bought two......in differing colors. Did I mention I bought these two hoodies about fifteen years ago? I tried having the zipper professionally repaired this past winter but it was broken again within one week of its repair. Recently I wore it around the house, held together by three large safety pins. Needless to say, I did not plan on leaving the premises that day. (I realize this was either desperate, tacky, or wacky. Not sure which.) I told my SO this afternoon that I was considering removing the zipper and sewing the front together to create a pull-on hoodie. Since I think this would look OK, I would describe this action as either desperate or wacky.

In any event, I keep asking myself why am I so attached to this old, gray sweatshirt-material hoodie? The fabric is in good condition and I like the way it fits my frame, but, mostly, I like it because it is old, familiar and comfy. Kind of like the bathrobe that I really should part with. I wonder how a full-length, pull-on bathrobe would work?

Maybe I should have my SO take a picture of me wearing my gray hoodie, the old ski jacket and the blue bathrobe......all at once. Perhaps I could then let go of these garments and the mysterious hold they have on me.

But.......they are old, familiar and comfy.

Ancora imparo