Monday, March 8, 2010

If I Had A Dime For Every.......

The publishing industry must think that consumers are either ignorant, illiterate or both. If I had a dime for every magazine renewal notice that comes across my desk for the same magazine, I'd be wealthy beyond my wildest imagination.

Hurry! Urgent! Last Notice! Renew Now! Your Subscription Is About To Expire! Don't Miss An Issue!

Years ago, I was not wise to the panic-technique, as I call the methodology employed by publishers of periodicals. I would receive a renewal notice in the mail and, not wanting to miss an issue, I'd fill out the form and return it right away. Never considering that I might be naive, I kept no records until one day some fine print caught my eye and I discovered my subscription for a well-known, weekly news-magazine had been renewed three years out.......by me! Imagine my anger and embarrassment. After that, I began carefully scrutinizing all magazine mailing labels. I read every word, large or small, on renewal notices, and I started keeping records on which magazine was renewed when and for how long.

This has been a successful routine for me and I'm confident that it will continue to enable me to decipher the decidedly deceptive and manipulative process utilized by the publishing industry. However, I just realized that my vigilance must be ever keen. Their latest technique to arrive in the mail went something like this:

NOTICE OF BENEFITS DUE from the Blah blah blah Consumer Services Dept. And I quote: A thorough review of our accounts confirms that the renewal of the Washingtonson (their word, not mine) Subscription to Blah blah blah is now pending. Act now to receive the following preferred benefits and services: .......... The notice goes on to give a "benefits must be claimed by" date and even has the audacity to make the tear-off, bottom portion of the "Notice of Benefits Due" form look like a benefits claim voucher.

Does this magazine think I'm living under a rock? Is the same advertising agency responsible for the television commercial tag-line "It's so easy a cave man could do it." now creating marketing techniques for the publishing industry?

I think and I can read - two dangerous traits for a consumer to possess. I'm not sure the publishing industry is prepared for intelligent, informed and literate consumers. Must be all these years we've just been looking at the pictures!

Ancora imparo