Friday, May 20, 2011

Violated My Rule

Over the past five years, or so, I have adopted a "rule" that organizational experts recommend:  For every one item that comes into your home, one item goes out.  For the most part, this has worked well.  In fact, I have been obsessed with getting rid of belongings, so more has gone out than has come in.  (Well, sort of.  I probably have purchased more clothing than I have discarded.  Will have to work on this.)  Anyway, I have a lot less "stuff" than I used to.  Unless it is an item that Capt. SO and I have determined we need, I just don't buy much for us (Now grandchildren are another matter entirely!) because there just is not much space in which to store "stuff".  This doesn't mean I would not like to purchase things, I just don't know where I would put them.

Space on the Aqua RV is definitely limited.  However, I should qualify this.  If you ever want to find anything, space on our Aqua RV is restricted.  Burying things in obscure places does work but I would be hard-pressed to ever remember where I put anything.  This afternoon I headed out to do final provision shopping, list in hand.  A list works well for me - provided I stick to it.  For the most part, I do limit my purchases to what I wrote down, although occasionally I do stray from my pre-determined list - which is exactly what happened today.

I blame Tarjay.  Their seasonal plastic plates, bowls, trays, pitchers, serving containers and glasses are brightly colored with many geometric patterns, seemingly just to tempt the public into buying something they don't really need.  (Me) I try not to fall victim to this subtle merchandising trick, but fall I did.....although not badly.  I came back with six cute-as-can-be plastic glasses that will be perfect for summer beverages.  Did we need these six cute-as-can-be plastic glasses?  Absolutely not!  But they will get used?  Yes! and I even found a place to store them.....a place where they can be seen and easily obtained.

I love the way I can justify violating my one-in-one-out rule, don't you?  I'm betting this is not the last instance where I violate this rule.  Perhaps I should reconsider my rule???

Ancora imparo