Friday, May 27, 2011

I Need Some Crunch

I've been trying to change up my breakfast routine.  This probably doesn't sound like a very challenging task but I do find that it is hard to break a food rut.  Of course, eating scrambled egg whites doesn't sound very glamorous but they are quite tasty - especially when dotted with a bit of catsup.  Scrambled egg whites probably make up sixty percent of my breakfast menus.  Other variations on the theme of egg whites are egg-white omelets with spinach, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, feta cheese or lite shredded cheddar.  While I do miss egg yolks, they are just one of the many dietary choices I should not choose.

However, I digress.  Back to the crunch concept. 

In changing my breakfast pattern, for the past ten days or so, I've been enjoying fresh-fruit and fat-free-plain yogurt smoothies, with a little old-fashioned oatmeal and some rice milk thrown in. The flavor is splendid.  My favorite fresh fruits to add are either bananas, pineapple, or strawberries.  Add a little crushed ice, blend, and voila!  Tasty!  I realize this is a psychological issue and not one of nutrition, never-the-less, it is still hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that I've eaten if I've not "eaten".  Swallowing liquids and chewing a substance - then swallowing - are two different things.  It is no wonder that I could never get into the Slim-fast craze when, just before every swimsuit season, it would sweep through my work place.   

Obviously, I could have many greater issues than the current consternation about chewing versus swallowing.   Perhaps I could still prepare my breakfast smoothies but float nuts, chocolate chips, cookie-bits, chunks of chocolate, or entire cookies on top of the liquid.  This would provide the nutrition of the fruit smoothie as well as the excitement and texture of foods on which I could crunch. 

Ooh - Twixt bars, KitKat bars, Butterfingers, O Henries, Pay Days, Nestle Crunches....the possibilities of crunch are endless!

Maybe I'd better return to scrambled egg whites?

Ancora imparo