Thursday, May 5, 2011

Music Therapy

Music Therapy is an occupation that came into its own in the late 1960's and 1970's.  A good college friend, Judy, majored in Music Therapy, doing her internship at a Veteran's Administration hospital in California.  Judy was one of the few students I knew who majored in M.T., even though, at the time, Michigan State University had a fully-accredited Music Therapy degree within the Music Department.  "Back then", at least at M.S.U., it was not a widely-populated major, drawing small numbers compared to the other Music Department majors.

During my first term, as a Freshman at M.S.U., my advisor did his best to steer me away from my declared major of Instrumental Music Education and towards a degree in Music Therapy.  You see, "back then", female band directors were not the norm.  Female students were seen more as choral majors, any kind of applied major (i.e. performance), or Music Therapy majors.......anything but band directing.  I, however, was determined, and (diplomatically....I hope) ignored my advisor's advising.

Over the years, I've come to more fully appreciate the curriculum of Music Therapy, and the powerful influence it can have on those affected by either physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.  I have seen, first-hand, its ability to soothe, motivate and even heal.  After reading several books on the subject and attending workshops on how to weave Music Therapy structure into the bandroom, I found it to be a highly effective additive to my classroom instruction.

On a personal level, I've experienced the positive effects of music on an almost daily basis.....and this morning was no exception.  My day wasn't off to a bad start - far from it - I was feeling just a little off-kilter.....which some would say is the norm for me.  Once in the car, I turned on the radio to the public, classical station that I support, and found an almost immediate calming veil surround me.  Not too long into my travels, I heard one of my all-time favorite pieces to both perform and listen to - Richard Wagner's "Overture" to the opera "Rienzi".  It is at once, restful and almost bombastic, perfect for restoring one's zen and energy simultaneously.  That was followed, shortly, by a series of Brahms piano works, and, if you are not familiar with Johannes Brahms' music, you need to be.  I'll go out on a limb and state that Brahms wrote only exquisite music, with every note bringing one's soul a little closer to musical heaven. 

So it is with music, whether it is rock, soul, classical, operatic.....any genre.  It restoreth the soul.  It did mine today and it can yours, too.  Try it. 

Ancora imparo