Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Was It An Univited Visitor?

It was bedtime....last night.  I had just finished watching the season finale of "Castle", which ended both predictably and unpredictably.  It is not unexpected to have a leading character shot or wounded during the finale in order to keep the viewing public guessing and wanting to tune in when the season returns, but I did not expect to have the character of police captain turn out to be a traitor and ultimately get killed.

And so I digress.

Capt. SO had turned in before me so I grabbed a flashlight with which to navigate in the darkness, not wanting to disturb his newly-attained sleep.  The blinds were all in an "up" position and as I padded about, I kept noticing shafts of light coming in through the windows that line the condo on the side of the deck.  Since this is a deck with stairs that lead down to the lawn below, the seemingly moving shafts of light gave me cause to pause and study the outer darkness carefully.  Later I would realized that what I thought were moving shafts of light was just light interrupted in the inner darkness by furniture outlines as I was moving about.
Feeling silly, but still a tiny bit unsettled, I turned off the flashlight and walked closer to the windows.  In order to move toward the windows, I had to weave through a few pieces of furniture and as the light shafts changed, I found my heart beating just a bit faster.  "Is someone out on our deck?"  "Do they have a flashlight?"  I was transported back to my youth, reading a Nancy Drew novel, thinking of myself as an amateur sleuth.

Once my eyes adjusted to the natural darkness, I walked directly to the deck windows and gazed out.  What I saw shocked me and then I started to giggle.  The light shafts, that I attributed to a possible uninvited visitor on our deck, were actually beams of light from a gorgeous full moon.  We've had cloudy, gloomy days and nights for so long that I had become accustomed to the darkest of nights, with the moon and stars obscured from view by heavy cloud cover.  Even though I was bone-tired, I took a few minutes to appreciate what I was seeing - a bright, white orb sitting high enough over the trees to bathe my living area with celestial wattage, all too seldom seen as of latter months.

Thank you, Man-in-the-Moon for making an appearance!

Ancora imparo