Monday, May 2, 2011

Bucket Level: High, Low, or Empty

When I think of the word, "bucket", I first think of the movie, "The Bucket List", which I have referred to multiple times in Ancora imparo.  I love the idea of a "bucket list", have made my own, and am working toward acting on the items on my list. 

With spring chronologically and realistically here, the golfers are out in full force.  I drive past a golf course on a regular basis and can see the driving range area of the golf course, where golfers are always lined up with their buckets of balls, practicing their swings. 

Another bucket association comes from Kentucky Fried Chicken, or KFC, as it is now known.  Having been the recipient of a chicken bucket or two over the years, I can attest to the crispy coating, the moist meat and the uber-fat content of the product. I have noticed that, at potluck dinners, the KFC bucket is almost always the first to empty.

My father-in-law lives on a farm, owns many pieces of agricultural equipment, among them, tractors with front-end loaders, complete with buckets, which he uses from time to time.....not always in the most logical of fashions.....for his age.  A nonagenarian, his mind still tells him that he is a young, strapping and frisky young man - as compared to his body which may be able to but should not.  These front-end buckets are both a blessing and a curse.

There is the series of "trust" bucket drawings that financial advisors use to demonstrate how one bucket of money flows from one trust to another.  If you have never seen this series of drawings, try to have your first experience be with someone who can draw upside down on the paper.  Fascinating.

Perhaps the most important types of "buckets" have to do with trust and respect, which are closely tied together.  Every relationship, whether personal or professional, begins with full buckets of trust and respect.  Ideally, these buckets remain full, but some individuals are not capable of maintaining full buckets, and, little by little, erode the contents of their buckets to low or empty.  Try hard as I might, I find it almost impossible to overlook a low or empty bucket because the process of lowering the contents has quite possibly resulted in me experiencing the same type of negative interaction with said person or persons over and over and over and over.........

Here's to full buckets....of any kind.

Ancora imparo