Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Everything Is Getting Shorter, Including Me

As I was driving on the Interstate this morning, listening to classical music, my mind was too busy.  Instead of unwinding with the music, which I eventually did, I was focused on what seems to be a shrinking of everything.  Well, the things that should be shrinking are not and those that I'd prefer to keep as they are, are diminishing. 

Take, for instance, the list of foods that I am supposed to, or should, eat.  My taste buds still crave the flavors and textures of meat, bread and dairy products - namely cheese - and sugars; i.e. desserts.  Yet my body is increasingly telling me it is not happy when I ingest many types of meat, gluten, dairy or sugar-laden products..  Hence, the shrinking list of foods that agree with all of my systems. 

Then there is the shrinking list of months of the year that I enjoy.  I almost feel Grinch-like by making this declaration - as if I am stealing the joy from others who really relish the cold and snow of winter or the heat and humidity of summer.  As I get older, I find that my enjoyment of seasonal extremes is diminishing greatly.  I do not look forward to the sub-zero temps during what we call "the dead of winter", nor do I anticipate dripping with sweat every time I step outside of air conditioned comfort during "the dog days" of summer.  Rather, my favorite months are April, October, and November, when the weather tends to be more temperate.......here, at least.

Finally, I realize that my productive hours, during the day, are also lessening.  I have always had two speeds, either stop or go, but I used to be able to "go" from 5 a.m. until 10 p.m., nonstop, like the Energizer bunny on steroids.  I have noticed, as of late, that my "good" hours are shrinking as well.  Before too many years, I'll be alert and productive only between the hours of  8 a.m. to 10 a.m.  The rest of the day might be spent snoozing, drooling or knitting incessantly.   

Oops, I see it is beyond the time when I am alert.  Gotta go!

Ancora imparo