Sunday, May 22, 2011

The End Didn't Come....Yet

The pastor who proclaimed that the end of the world, as we know it, would come last week, must be feeling a bit embarrassed and humbled.  If he is not humbled, he should be.  What hubris it took to declare that he had interpreted the Bible and decoded what it really says.  Whenever I hear a human announce that she or he has the correct interpretation of the Bible, my brain shuts off and I head in the opposite direction - as quickly as possible. Conceit is a dangerous and powerful aphrodisiac, often leading humans in directions that God didn't intend and does not "approve" of.  It always astounds me when I hear stories of people who take these prognosticators at face value and spend their entire life savings preparing for events that some self-proclaimed prophet declares will transpire. 

I just took part in an interesting conversation with others about what each one of us would do if we knew the "end" was approaching.  Actions, tasks, or desires ranged from (really) having one last cup of "good" coffee, hugging family members that were close, calling family members living away to say "I love you" one final time, grabbing family pets (theological experts do not agree on whether or not pets will be allowed in the "Rapture"), and simply getting on the knees to pray. 

For once, I didn't have an answer ready on the tip of my tongue.  In these troubling times, the end could come by the hand of God or by the hand of some deranged individual or individuals.  There is so much uncertainty, even on a day-by-day basis that if were to give much thought to "the end", I'm convinced I would either go mad or become hopelessly depressed.  Either one of these options is a lose-lose for me so I will shoulder on as if every day is like another gift, for that is what each day is. 

I hope you enjoy this "gift" day.  I intend to.

Ancora imparo