Friday, May 6, 2011

The Gift Of Time

Today was to be jam-packed.  I'd prepared for this day as best I could, making lists of what needed to be done, when the tasks needed to be finished and what tasks could be completed early or in early, partial stages.  I awakened today with a plan of attack, a course of action - a time table, and then, Voila! - a change of plans that has resulted in the gift of perhaps more than two additional hours in my day at home. 

Have you ever been given the gift of time?  Those kinds of days come few and far between, don't they? 

I can remember when I was teaching, there would be rare occasions when a certain grade level could have a sudden change of plans for the day, or would have an pre-planned activity, precluding me from working with those children, but the resultant effect could be an open twenty to forty "bare" minutes for me.  Again, this was very rare, but when it did occur, you would have thought I had been given a month's worth of extra time, the way I tore around, grabbing this and that, running here and there, usually heading for the office work room, hoping the copy machine was available or turning into the phone room, trying to return parental phone calls.

I have decided to use today's "extra" time to recharge my battery, first by getting in my yoga workout, which I thought would be a casualty of this day, and, secondly, reading a magazine that has been sitting patiently at the edge of my desk, calling to me, saying "Open me now!"  Well, this is the day that the magazine's call-out will be acknowledged and acted upon.

Stop and listen for a moment or two, if you are able.  Do you have a book, magazine or relaxing activity that has been reaching out to you, only to be rebuffed, day after day?  Is your "low-battery" light on, having been ignored for some time?  If you answered "yes" to either one of those questions, hopefully you will get lucky today, and either make or find some "self" time.

You, too, need the "gift" of time.

Ancora imparo