Saturday, December 11, 2010

Winter Unleashed

Ol' Man Winter has flirted with us, teased us, and forewarned us for the past couple of weeks, but tonight he has been unleashed and nothing seems in the works to stop him, at least for the next twelve to twenty hours.  So here I sit, safe and warm in my humble abode.  Before dinner, my SO and I took the time to sit quietly with the Christmas tree lights as a backdrop, and watch the snowfall.  It is so much more restful and relaxing to watch the snowfall from inside than it is to drive in it, isn't it?  One way allows us to appreciate the beauty that snow creates.  The other way allows our knuckles to become as white as snow as our hands grip the steering wheel with a death-type grip designed to keep the car on the road.

With all of the meteorological posturing going on regarding the path the supposed storm will take, how many inches we can expect when all is said and done, the possibility of blowing and drifting snow creating blizzard conditions.....and the like, I became curious and visited one of my favorite web sites - that of the National Weather Service.  As a boater, I am accustomed to giving great credence to the information set forth on this web site.  I may be naive, but I expect accuracy from the government regarding weather conditions.  Granted this may be one of the few government agencies I have confidence in, but I figure all of those trained meteorologists cannot be wrong.  (Now a room full of economists.......that is another matter.)

I wanted to check on marine conditions on the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan.  Not a good thirty-six hours to be boating or on a boat in either one of those bodies of water.  The bay has gale warnings out, with a forecast of six-to-eight foot waves, and the southeastern and eastern side of Lake Michigan has storm warnings out with forecasted twenty to twenty-five foot waves.  Since wave predictions are created from an average of wave measurements, a boater knows that the forecasted wave height is an average and that there will automatically be higher waves in the mix. 

Somehow, knowing all of this makes staying inside even more enticing and pleasant.  I've enjoyed a cup of hot lemonade as well as eaten my dinner by the light of the Christmas tree. I am missing a cup of tea and Christmas cookies but that will come soon enough. 

For now, I will enjoy the solitude afforded by remaining indoors.  Shoveling will come soon enough tomorrow morning.

May all of you remain safe and warm as well.

Ancora imparo