Monday, December 13, 2010

In A State of Acquiescence

You know the phrase, 'roll over and play dead'?  It is one of those cutesy tricks people teach their dogs.  Or, continuing with the dog theme, when a dog, or wolf, displays signs of submissiveness and rolls over onto its back?  That is how my So and I are reacting to the cold and blowing snow Mother Nature has thrown our way.

As I was contemplating our behavior over the last two days, the word acquiesce came to mind.  (This word is a seldom used word, apparently, because I just mis-typed it and the spell-check for this application did not even flag the word as misspelled.)  My favorite tome, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary - Eleventh Edition, page 11, lists acquiesce, of course leaving out any canine analogy, and gives the definition as to accept, comply, or submit tacitly or passively, which is exactly how my SO and I have behaved, given the weather conditions as they are.

His and my response to being weather-bound have been predictably different.  We did share some sun room time with steaming, hot coffee, the newspaper and Christmas tree lighted-ambiance.  After that our day was in parallel motion with him working on Christmas cards in his man-cave and I in my kitchen-office woman-cave.  I even acknowledged the plummeting outside temps and howling wind by turning up the thermostat one degree from 65 degrees to 66 degrees - a big step for me, who is always saying, "Just add another laying of clothing."  I tackled baking Christmas cookies and later sewed Princess Leia's apron, while watching "Iron Chef, America", whose secret ingredient was pork fat.  That was both an 'eww' and 'yum'.  Ugly to watch but tasty to eat, I'm certain. 

I do sense that the cold is atrophying my brain, though.  As I was preparing my coffee, this morning, before beginning to blog,  I followed my ritual of placing a small amount of fat-free half and half (such an oxymoron) in the bottom of my coffee mug for pre-warming and when I went to put the carton away, my brain decided that the microwave was the refrigerator and I tried for a split-second or two to cram the half and half carton into the microwave until I realized my mistake. 

This does not bode well for the remainder of these Holly Daze, does it?  If you see me, out in public, with an article of clothing upon my head - as a hat - that should otherwise be hidden under my clothing, please be kind.  Take me by the hand and lead me to the nearest animal shelter where I will roll over and play dead.

My final acquiescence. 

Ancora imparo