Sunday, December 19, 2010

It Is That Time of Year

I try to avoid gift shopping in December, if at all possible.  The malls, shopping centers, big-box stores, parking lots, and streets are jammed with people.......every one of them frazzled and in a hurry.  This fact was born out today as I witnessed a parking lot tussle between three car drivers who all wanted the same parking spot.  While I witnessed no actual vehicle contact, I did witness gesturing (the universal-sign type) and heard horn-honking and yelling.  So much for peace on earth and goodwill toward all. 

I did make it into a large department store within the mall where I encountered wall-to-wall people, most of whom were clutching papers, presumably studying gift lists.  There were conversations between people inquiring where the other people had been, who was still left on the list, where to find thus and such and, my personal favorite- usually uttered in a frustrated manner by a male - "How much longer?"  It was refreshing to not encounter any tired and cranky sales associates.  In fact, all of the sales associates I dealt with were energetic and pleasant, perhaps due to coffee breaks, puppies, naps, chocolate, shift changes, or substances of an unknown nature. 

Whatever the cause, my afternoon shopping experience was positive and completed in less time than I had anticipated......which was a good thing because Capt. SO was waiting in the vehicle......this after a lengthy car ride back from a neighboring state.  I did not want to press my luck with SO patience, although I was fairly confident that while I was shopping he would be snoozing. 

This time of year gives a new meaning to the word listing.  As a boater, listing, the verb, carries with it a very bad connotation, whereas if I were a realtor, listing, a noun, would be welcomed, these days, as great.  I'm introducing a new, verb meaning for listingthe act of making lists, which is something that everyone, including moi, seems to be doing a lot of these days. 

Here's to Holly Daze Listing.  May we all construct our lists, may we all remember to take our lists with us when we leave the house, and may we all remember to look at the list (or lists) when we are oot and aboot. 

I have my Number Two, Ticonderoga pencil at the ready.  How 'bout you?

Ancora imparo