Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Exulting In The Small Accomplishments

Today was a day of opposites for my SO and I.  On the one hand, we had a delightful lunch with friends, tasty food, and great conversation.  The weather cooperated one-hundred percent for driving and being out and about and pre-Holly Daze traffic - both on the streets and in the stores - was civilized and moderate.  All in all, not a bad day when one considers what the volume of shoppers and traffic could be. 

What then ensued were searches for small and not-so-small gifts.....for others and ourselves.  Who would have imagined that there could be so many tea kettle choices?  Ceramic and aluminum; one quart up to 2.5 quarts; tall and slender profiles to short, squat profiles; low prices to not-so-low prices.  Then there is the rainbow of colors - mustard yellow, bright yellow, orange, orange-ish red, true red, lime green, black, white, brushed aluminum, stainless steel, and two-toned black and brushed aluminum.  There is the old-fashioned spout that simply pours water or the steam-release, small-hole variety with a flip-lid handle.  All in the name of boiling liquids

Next came the search at ToysRUs for Silly Putty.  It must not be a commonly sought-after item because even the store employees didn't know where it might be or even if the store carried it.  I finally found one employee who knew, for sure, that the store carried it but he could only tell me the general area the putty should be in.  Fortunately, for me, I'd overeaten at lunch so I was content walking all over the store, looking for Silly Putty and burning calories!  In the end, I did find Silly Putty so the world can still revolve tomorrow morning.

The final purchase triumph was a heavy-duty, seamless and deep 9"X13" baking pan.  A small, but important 'find' that was actually not easy to locate.  We must have looked at more than a dozen pans in several stores until discovering a pan that fit the parameters desired.  Another tiny but important victory in the quest for silly, seamless tea kettles.

I think I just mixed up my purchases.   

Ancora imparo