Friday, December 10, 2010

We All Learn to Bark Differently

For those readers new to Ancora imparo, you need to know that I am a dog lover and a dog-misser.  (I know.....there is no such word as 'misser'.)  I frequently refer to the fact that I'd love to have another dog in my life and every time I open a gift, I ask if there is a puppy inside.  While I am partial to English Springer Spaniels (Yes, yes, I know that the American Kennel Club has dropped the word 'English' from its classification of the breed.  I just still like the way 'it' sounds.) and Labs, for today's posting purposes, I will refer to myself as an Australian Shepherd.

I am a member of the Canis lupus familiaris classification of mammals.  Much like Homo sapiens, I come in different sizes, shapes, and colorations, although the American Kennel Club has very exacting specifications for what is the perfect representation of my breed is in terms of shape and size, as well as coloration patterns. I happen to have a brindle coat, of which I am extremely proud.   

One thing that all members of Canis lupus familiaris have in common is the need to be trained.  We canines have naturally bred instincts that have been perfected for centuries and, without careful training, we will be genetically pre-disposed to return to the behaviors that are second nature to us.  Training for us best begins when we are puppies, because we are eager to learn and please our masters - male or female.

If you came to observe puppy-training class you would note that we all learn differently.  Some of us catch on right away and pay rapt attention to whatever the trainer is saying.  You will see us cocking our heads to the left and right in an effort to hear each and every word and see each hand motion. Others appear to be paying zero attention but when the time comes to display what has been learned, these puppies can do it all!  Other participants in my puppy class prefer to simply lie down and snooze through the entire session, despite the best efforts of the owners and trainer.  Then there are my puppy-classmates who bark from the moment they arrive and are still barking as their vehicles pull out of the parking lot.

Yes, there are lots of puppies who would prefer not to come to puppy class but they were, probably literally, dragged there by their owners.  I, on the other hand, wish to learn and find my disruptive puppymates' behaviors distracting and disrespectful.  I am there to be trained so I can become the best puppy possible and grow into a responsible, adult canine.

I think that the puppies who do not want to listen to the trainer and their owners should have a room of their own where they can go and sleep or bark to their hearts' content.  There could be lots of treats and water available, plus they would be safe and dry no matter what the weather outside during class time.  They would have so much more fun and we puppies who are eager to be trained could spend our puppy-class time learning.  Everyone would be so much happier!

I am going to paw-print a note to my owners, tell them how I feel, and spell out the merits of my puppy-plan.  I may even have to bark a time or two to get my point across.

Just remember that a nightingale did sing in Barkley Square.

Ancora imparo