Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Try As I Might.......

(Writer's Note:  Try as I might, I am unable to get the dialogue portion of this posting to line up and hold the indent.  It appears quite messy in the 'conversation' portion.  My apologies to the reader.)

Have you ever been in a conversation with someone who notices 'something' in the distance and wants you to notice it, too?  My SO and I had a verbal exchange of this type a short while ago.  I'll set the stage for you and then relate the conversation.

Stage:
Capt. SO has been out early and shoveled heavy, wet snow for about thirty, or more, minutes - some, like on the deck, more than twelve inches deep.  He has eaten breakfast and has taken a well-deserved, steaming-hot cup of coffee to the sun room to relax a bit and enjoy the view towards the woods.  Cranky Kitty is on his lap, eyes narrowed (no, it is not sunny),  not looking too pleased with life. Her customary visage.  I am, perhaps, ten feet behind him and to his left, my view of the woods partially obscured.  I am eating half of a gluten-free bagel that feels more like concrete dense enough to hide Jimmy Hoffa, than an edible food source, and reading the morning newspaper at the dining room table.  Normally I would be perched upon a high stool at the kitchen island-bar but I want to 'experience' the woods and cardinal activity as well.  


Conversation: 
Capt. SO:  "Can you see that bird, or big blob of some type, out in the tree behind the big tree right in front? "
Moi:          (Rising, as I speak, to stand before the windows, in hopes of sighting the big blob as well.)  "OK,
                  now where are you looking?"
Capt. SO:  "There, right there, on a branch on a tree right behind the big tree."
Moi:          (Bending over slightly, towards the window, squinting, as if that will help.)  "Which big tree?"
Capt. SO:  (Voice now having an ever-so-slight edge to it.  You know....the kind that is thinking, "Moron,
                  right in front of you.") "That tree."
Moi:           (Nose now pressed to glass in an effort to see which big tree.)  "I still can't see which big tree
                  you are referring to. Oh, right there?  Well, it is not a cardinal. "
Capt. SO:   "I know that.   It is that big tree (pointing).....and the tree right behind it with the big branch.
                  There is a big blob of some kind on the branch that moves every now and then".
Moi:           (Really wanting to experience seeing the same big blob, I now move to directly behind Capt.
                  SO's  chair so I have the same line of sight.......but to no avail.)  "Sorry, but I still can't see the big
                  blob."  (I then return to my seat and continue chewing on my concrete, gluten-free bagel, feeling
                  as though I must have missed something akin to last night's total lunar eclipse.)

Try as I might, I simply could not visually locate the big-branched tree directly behind the big tree, directly in front of Capt. SO's line of sight that had the big blob perched upon the big branch.  But, isn't that what makes life interesting?  We all see things differently, even when we are looking at the same 'thing'.  A big blob to one is not noticeable to another and vice versa.

It is time to begin baking some cookies.  I wonder if we'll each notice the freshly baked cookies when they come out of the oven and are cooling on the counter.  My guess is that we'll have no problem identifying them as tasty morsels of some type!

Happy Holly Daze.

Ancora imparo