Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The 'Mute' Button

Are you familiar with those clever Staples commercials about pushing the "Easy" button?  After the commercials had achieved notoriety, Staples began selling the "Easy Button" and sales were brisk - perhaps they still are.

I'm advocating for someone to invent a mute button, much like I have on my laptop.  I keep the volume muted most of the time because the clicking sound that is frequently emitted drives me nuts.  I also find the sound that is created every time the computer starts up or shuts down to be highly irritating.  Hence, the muted sound.

Last night.....what am I saying.....it is still night and I'm up during 'it'.  I needed a 'mute' button last night to quiet all of the thoughts that were racing through my brain.  The previous night had presented the same issue before I went to bed, but after about six trips to write down tasks to remember, I had emptied my brain enough to allow sleep to overtake my body.

Not so lucky last night.

I went to bed with thoughts roiling in my consciousness and I was never successful in my attempts to still those thoughts.  After becoming even more wakeful just before 3:00 a.m., I laid in bed for an hour, which is my standard rule.  If, after one hour, sleep is still elusive, I get up and either stay up or engage myself in something that will eventually tire me enough to allow sleep to creep into my body.  Today, no sleep could creep and so I quietly arose and gave up the battle.

There is some solace in the quietude that is afforded when one is up with the bakers and early-morning newspaper deliverers of this world.  The outside darkness, illuminated only by either moonlight, street lights, or the occasional flash of car headlights is peaceful in its own way.  While all of this quiet tranquillness is restful, I will probably regret my decision to arise so early sometime either late morning or early afternoon, when my head may bob repeatedly toward my chest - at which time, I'll click 'off' my mute button.  

As for now, it's time to hit the treadmill. That ought to tire me out!

Ancora imparo