Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Nemesis

Thwarted?  Vexed?  Confounded?  That was and is me as I've watched Mother Nature's untamable hand deal a dose of snow, the amount of which is still to be determined. Why do I care?  Well, two pans of homemade lasagna, Italian salad, twenty-four brussels sprouts, one pound of bacon, fresh artichoke dip, squash, Jarlsberg cheese spread, three-cheese garlic bread, and one freshly-baked carrot cake....plus the promise of lively conversation and cameraderie.......that is why.

We are hosting a dinner party tonight.....for either eight people or two, six of whom would have to travel at last an hour or more.  I was up several times in the night, simply to gaze out the window to see the snow's progress and accumulation.  The weather forecasters, about whom I wrote yesterday, have been busy over the past twenty-four hours preparing our region for anywhere from a dusting to six or more inches.  I love the way they cover their derrieres with all the verbal nested 'ifs'.  At any rate, the weather is what it is and will be what it will be.  In the meantime, I have one tasty dinner ready to go. 

It is a good thing that we bought our little freezer last week.  Of course, the prospect of a pot of coffee and a whole carrot cake, made from the world's best carrot-cake recipe does have some appeal.  I'd better do a lot of shoveling to negate eating an entire carrot cake, in a nine-by-thirteen inch pan....with creamed cheese frosting.  This would either be heaven or hell. 

Ancora imparo