Monday, December 6, 2010

Pantry Surprises

This blog topic just changed - because of a typo!  I was going to write about something I learned at a dinner party this past weekend.  Something that both disturbed and amused me.  Kids, these days, are using nutmeg to get high!?!?  I suspect we've all known for years not to eat poppy-seed muffins before taking certain medical tests.  "Seinfeld" taught us that, if nothing else, but nutmeg?  What other standard spice can become suspect?  Nutmeg?  It simply belongs in apple pies and sprinkled atop of coffee, hot chocolate or Tom and Jerrys, not on a list of harmful substances commonly found in a household pantry. 

But, on to my change-of-topic topic. 

This is connected to a conversation I was part of yesterday at a Holly Daze open house, when those of gathered in a crowded corner turned to the subject of today's methods of communicating;  i.e. emailing, twittering, and texting.  We discussed the perils and pitfalls of the current-day practice of abbreviating almost every word, trying to avoid abbreviating almost every word, knowing which setting to abbreviate in, and the future of spelling for today's youth.  We all agreed that although 'spell-check' is convenient, it is a crutch upon which dependence foretells a loss of spelling knowledge and ensures future generations of non-spellers, not to mention the loss of the cursive-writing as a method of communication. 

Yes, the need for the ability to spell, on our own without the aid of artificial intelligence, is great and vastly underestimated. Case in point:  My blog title for today.

I was typing rapidly, intending to type the title "Pantry Surprises", but instead, in my haste, I left out one very important letter from the word 'pantry'........the letter 'r'.  Just suppose, for one second, that I relied completely on spell-check to alert me to a misspelling.  I would never had been prompted to check my spelling error because the word that I actually typed, panty, is a word and, as such, would not have been flagged by my computer as a misspelling.  Imagine the surprise of any blog reader who would log on to Ancora imparo  and find the title - Panty Surprises. 

Perhaps readership would increase exponentially?

Ancora imparo